Over one tenth of Americans have lost all of their teeth. Wrap your gums around that one for a minute. Many have tried dentures but have found the experience, uh, less than pleasant. That means a lot of people are simply going toothless…not getting to enjoy nuts, or a crisp apple, no popcorn, or Swedish Fish.
Now that’s just not right. Especially the Swedish Fish.
That’s why Dr. Fong performs All-on-4 dental implant procedures for our patients from all around Orange County. All-on-4 places four implants on each arch, along with the attachment of temporary full arches of new artificial teeth, all in one day. Holy cashew! Even Mr. Peanut would be impressed with that change from toothless to fully chewable in just a day.
What are All-on-4 dental implants?
Using dental implants to anchor dentures isn’t new, but it has typically involved six to eight implants on each arch. These implants were placed vertically into the jawbone.
Dr. Fong’s All-on-4 method requires only four implants per arch. This is possible thanks to the two back implants on each arch. Instead of being placed vertically, these back implants are placed at a 30- to 45-degree angle from the biting plane. Doing this usually precludes the need for bone grafting. Patients who have been missing their teeth for some time usually have lost some degree of jawbone mass, and vertical implant placement often requires grafting to build the bone back up. After the back implants are placed at an angle, the front two implants are placed vertically. This is possible because there is usually less bone loss toward the front of the jaw.
Next, a prosthesis with 10-14 teeth is permanently attached to the four implants on each arch. For these permanent prostheses, the patient can choose between porcelain or composite resin.
What are the benefits of All-on-4 dental implants?
These are amazing procedures that Dr. Fong performs. For a person who has been missing all of his or her teeth, the life changes made by All-on-4 implants are hard to sufficiently detail. Instantly the patient can smile confidently, eat a normal diet again, speak more clearly, and feel a real boost in self-confidence.
These are the benefits associated with the All-on-4 implant system:
- Eat a normal, diverse diet without worrying — Because your new teeth are fully anchored into your jawbone, you can now return to a normal diet.
- Return to a confident smile — Your new teeth will function, feel, and look just like natural teeth. Your smile will be back.
- Acquire a complete set of fully functioning teeth in a short amount of time — The All-on-4 implant procedure takes around 2.5 hours per arch, and you will have temporary functioning teeth the same day (they will be replaced with your permanent teeth when your implants have fully healed and solidified).
- Chew and bite with confidence — Your anchored new teeth will give you a bite force with 70 percent more power than dentures.
- Teeth for life — Your four or eight implants are permanent, and your new teeth can last the rest of your life.
- Implants without painful bone grafts — If you’ve lost jawbone mass you won’t need to suffer through the bone grafting often required with traditional implants.
- Put an end to further bone loss — Your implants will now transfer bite force energy down into your jawbone. This energy triggers the jawbone to continually create new bone cells, the key to healthy bone mass.
If you’ve lost all or most of your teeth, how do you feel about having a full set of beautiful, anchored, functional teeth in a day? Call Dr. Fong at (714) 549-1903 and set up a consultation for All-on-4 dental implants.